Benefits of Ajwa Dates/Khajoor:
There are so many benefits of eating ajwa dates/Khajoor. Ajwa dates are considered as a natural resource for nutrition. It provides the body with a high percentage of proteins, minerals and vitamins E.G. A. B1, and BB which are constructive ingredients for building up the body tissues and muscles.
Ajwa dates/Khajoor also help in pregnant women’s delivery. Ajwa dates help in healing the liver from many parasitic diseases and a good medicine for hepatitis and it contains vitamins B2.
The taste has been described as moderately sweet and smooth, with a “melt in your mouth” quality to them.
But the taste is not the only benefit you get from Ajwa dates. Ajwa dates are packed with nutrients and can even be thought of as a powerpack of nutrients. For its size, it contains a lot of beneficial nutrients and vitamins. Ajwa dates contain protein, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and healthy fats. As far as vitamins, they are literally packed with vitamins A, B6, C, E, and K. They also contain carotenoids which are part of the vitamin A family and great for eyesight. Other vitamins contained include folate, niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin. Did I mention that even with all of these packed in, they still contain beneficial minerals as well? Wait for it….
Ajwa dates contain calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium. Now it is easy to see why travelers in the desert used to sustain themselves on dates and water alone, sometimes.
It will come as no surprise that with its contents of nutritious substances, vitamins, and minerals, Ajwa dates have benefits that are more than skin deep for one’s overall well being. A recent review article , has summarised some of these scientifically proven benefits of the Ajwa date.
Here are some of the proven benefits:
- Improves Digestive Health, Relieves Constipation – the fibre found in Ajwa dates helps to clean out the gastrointestinal system, allowing the colon to work at greater levels of efficiency. Ajwa dates, specifically, reduces risks of bowel inflammation (colitis), colon cancer, and hemorrhoids.
- Boosts Heart Health – In addition to promoting colon health, fiber is also known to boost heart health.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Ajwa dates are rich in magnesium – a mineral known for its anti-inflammatory benefits. Ajwa dates, in particular, have some of the highest anti-inflammatory properties, similar to commercial drugs like aspirin or ibuprofen.6
- Reduced Blood Pressure – Magnesium has been shown to help lower blood pressure – and again, Ajwa dates are full of this mineral.
- Reduced Stroke Risk – Researchers found stroke risk was reduced by 9% for every 100 milligrams of magnesium a person consumes per day.2
- A Healthy Pregnancy and Delivery – A study has shown that consuming Ajwa dates in late pregnancy helps with labor progression and less need for artificially inducing labor and/or cesarean section.3
- Boosting Brain Health – Some studies, such as one found in JAMA Internal Medicine, found that sufficient vitamin B6 levels are associated with improved brain performance and better test scores.
- Bone Health and Strength – The significant amounts of minerals found in Ajwa dates make it a superfood for strengthening bones and fighting off painful and debilitating diseases like osteoporosis.
- Intestinal Disorders – The natural nicotine content in dates is thought to be beneficial for curing many kinds of intestinal disorders.
- Anemia – Ajwa dates have a dark color when dried, owing to their high mineral content. However, their impressive levels of iron make them a perfect dietary supplement for people suffering from anemia.
- Energy Booster – Ajwa dates are high in natural sugars like glucose, fructose, and sucrose. Therefore, they are the perfect snack for an immediate burst of energy. However, the sugars found in Ajwa dates are even more beneficial, especially for those with type 2 diabetes.
- Maintaining a healthy weight – Dates should be included as a part of a healthy diet. They consist of sugar, proteins and many essential vitamins.